‘Moment for Action’ was an online multilingual destination for people interested in making a difference on climate change. The website launched on September 23rd, 2014 in conjunction with a full-page ad running in the New York Times entitled “100% for the 100%” which calls upon world leaders assembled in New York for the UN Climate Leaders Summit to take urgent action to address the climate crisis by rapidly shifting to 100% clean, renewable energy.
After the success of the COP21 Paris Agreement the project was extended through 2016 to support efforts to increase government pledges and the ratification of the agreement. With the ratification announcement of hitting the milestone of 55% emissions this project is now complete and is being retired on December 31st of this year.
As a collaboration with many participating NGO’s and foundations, the website had four primary features:
- A petition addressed to local, national and world leaders asking them to urgently address the climate crisis by taking bold actions to prevent the dangerous threshold of a 2 degree C rise in global temperatures. Signatures were aggregated and presented at the climate conference COP21 in Paris, 2015.
- A recap of the latest climate science distilled from hundreds of sources, including most notably the 5th Assessment Report of the IPCC (AR5) which integrates over 20,000 peer-reviewed scientific papers on a wide array of climate topics. The recap answered the following 5 questions:
- How is the climate is changing?
- Do scientists agree?
- Is human activity to blame?
- Whom will it impact?
- What are the solutions?
- A gallery, created in partnership with Climate Heroes, of individuals who have stepped up to the challenge of climate change and are working in some way to implement solutions to prevent climate change or to adapt to impacts that are already being felt on the ground. They included scientists, teachers, entrepreneurs, engineers, organizers, conservationists, development workers, farmers and local leaders. These people were from every corner of the globe working on an array of issues — from energy access and clean water, to food security and ecosystem sciences. You can check out the Climate Heroes by visiting their website.
- The action hub, which showcased the latest ways individuals can make a difference on climate change, aggregated from a growing network of nonprofit and social impact organizations. Moment for Action aggregated a wide variety of action types — signing petitions, donating to important causes, volunteering for local events, working to reduce your own impact, or sharing important information with friends and family.
This action hub has now moved to Before the Flood action center